Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Returned to Sender Due to Addressee’s Violation of Postal False Representation Law

When a person is enduring a lawsuit of any kind—divorce, perjury, embezzlement, malfeasance, defrocking, impeachment—walking to the mailbox can be an anxiety-producing event. Opening its cover and seeing what lies within can be like uncovering maggots in your briefs.

Years ago while being railroaded by judicial system thugs—mean, small-minded pond scum who used my daughter as a pawn to torment me and threw law interpretations around like gangsters would a dead cat—I couldn't foresee what deceptive accusations would fall into my mailbox. To protect my soul, my postman would offer to hold certain pieces till I was emotionally hardened and ready to receive the fraud I’d eventually open.

Trauma throughout life can elicit responses to stress that make the brain shut down. Perpetrators seem to have an ability to victimize the innocent to make them feel as if somehow they, the prey, are criminals. Perps are like that.

Six years after my daughter became free from a very abusive situation and my family finally gained some peace, I received a piece of mail that looked official and did the wrong thing: I reacted without reading the correspondence top to bottom. It was a Periodic Report, purportedly from the Secretary of State, informing me I was delinquent (by months) in renewing my $10 annual fee and now owed $225. Indeed, I had not renewed the corporation I started in 1986 because I didn’t use it and had discussed the issue with a gal at the SoS’s office, stating that my intent was to dissolve the corporation. She told me how to told me to proceed, and I heeded her instruction.

The document I received looked legitimate, but it wasn’t. Had I not reacted from Mailbox Fear and read the entire page, particularly the bottom quarter, I would have seen this:

“This product or service has not been approved or endorsed by any Government Agency and this offer [note: offer] is not being made by an agency of the Government. U.S.C. 39.6.3001(d). This is a solicitation for the order of services, and not a bill, invoice or statement of account due. You are under no obligation to make any payments on account of this offer.”

As a very detail-oriented editor, I know that most of our government forms, heck, almost everyone’s printed pieces, are riddled with errors. It upsets me that few respect our language enough to learn it. But in this case, angst replaced detail orientation.

So in reaction to this document, I jotted them a note mentioning the date I talked with the SoS gal and her name and returned the document in the envelope provided.

Ten months later the same envelope I’d mailed with my note was returned unopened with a red, all-uppercase U.S. Postal Service stamp: RETURNED TO SENDER DUE TO ADDRESSEE’S VIOLATION OF POSTAL FALSE REPRESENTATION LAW.

Hmm, I am the sender, so how is the addressee in violation? I went to usps.com and found numerous USPS lawsuits against organizations. All were fraud cases. Many people illicitly have attempted to get victims to give them money. The words transgression of the law were in the USPS claims, which sounded very biblical.

Then I googled the words of the red stamp and found www.ripoffreport.com/small-business-services/corporate-controller/corporate-controllers-unit-pe-69f53.htm

“The solicitation looks very official citing that ‘Colorado Corporations Code Requires Periodic Report’ and ‘CORPORATIONS CODE SECTION, 7-90-301 AND 7-90-501 Colorado Revised Statues (C.R.S)’

“It's not until the bottom of the letter that it reads ‘This is a solicitation for the order of services, and not a bill, invoice or statement of account due’

“Unfortunately, many companies may be duped into thinking this is an official notice for payment by the State of Colorado and end up paying these scammers the $225 fee.”

Also, “By the way, Corporate Controllers Unit, it's U.S.C. 39.4.3001(d) that you should be referencing not 39.6 (which doesn't even exist!). For the intern at CCU the roman numerals are: IV = 4, VI = 6, there is no part 6 of Title 39.”

Bottom line: Don’t let fear be your guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you believe.